The I3 Investment Cooperative is a newly established BC based coop established to support collaborative proposals that arise from conversations between people and planet innovators and members of underserved communities around the world. It’s founding Board of Directors include Michel Bauwens of the P2P Foundation. I3 – ‘I’ to the power of 3 – stands for exponential Impact.
Initiatives the coop supports includes solutions akin to the Sharing Economy: projects that take a community based approach in connecting needs, skills and resources to develop economic opportunity from within. They typically take advantage of Open Design, and mobile friendly tools, that facilitate peer to peer communication and commercial exchange.
The purpose of the I3 Coop is to act as a catalyst for the emergence and convergence of forward thinking solutions that can overcome people and planet challenges that “Business As Usual” is unable to do. It exists because:
1) Most people and planet innovators (such as the people who participated in the World Social Forum) are forced to bootstrap their work. They are new and returns they offer feel unfamiliar, such that even the most generous of angel investors and philanthropists can’t gather the information needed to see how and where to invest. I3 offers returns based on mitigating investor risk through qualitative and quantitative data analysis techniques.
2) Most innovators are unable to communicate with the people their solutions are designed to serve: the 80% of us who earn less than $5,000 a year. Unless we directly connect with our intended markets, the solutions we offer will likely fail. People living in the communities we want to serve must feel ownership of what’s being offered. They need to be part of the solution. By working together – as innovators and members of communities – what we produce will be far more bountiful than anything any ONE of us could offer alone. It’s the combination of our genius that will impact real change.
3) Connecting conversations and solutions on an online platform, means they can be easily promoted and shared. To do this, the I3 Investment Coop (http://impacteconomy.io/) has partnered with The Citizens Media: a crowd investment platform.
The I3 Investment Coop was invited to the WSF by MOVE: Makers for Open Value Economics. Our activities at WSF included the Talk4Change workshop where MOVE collaborators participated in a Google Hangout with Keabetswe Monsumane and Warren TeBrugge: founders of Bergnek Community Projects Cooperative. Bergnek is a rural community in Limpopo region of South Africa and the basis of I3’s pilot project. During the hangout, solutions providers in permaculture (podnet.net), community governance models (plenty4all.net), and data administration (universalalliance.org) deepened their understanding about the situation, needs and challenges going on in the community. Doing so generated interesting debate on how parts of everyone’s ideas could converge in a way that would enable the solutions for delivering the greatest value to rise to the surface.
Future conversations on this project will take place on Bergnek’s microsite, from where people can ask questions that will be received and answered by members of the community:
For more information on how the platform works, ‘Join The Conversation’ @ http://thecitizensmedia.com/
– If your are interested by the initiative you can press the ”follow group” button here below
– If you want to see the whole initiative press initiative’ in the menu bar below this text.
- following 3 years, 8 months ago
- following 4 years, 2 months ago
- following 4 years, 2 months ago